Moist, chewy & delicious! These are a favorite recipe in our house and everyone enjoys them. The ground flax seed, and brewers yeast is great for mom's milk production as well as a healthy source of fiber for anyone else who enjoys the cookies. You wont even notice the oatmeal in these cookies when you bite into the chocolatey goodness!
Very important for this recipe is to leave the butter out for a couple hours so that it gets nice and soft before you begin! I do not recommend melting it or attempting to make these cookies with cold butter as they will not come out correctly.
* 1 cup of Quaker instant oats
* 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
* 2-4 tablespoons brewers yeast
* 4 tablespoons ground flax seed
* 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
* 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* 2 sticks unsalted butter -SOFT
* 1 cup white sugar
* 1/2 cup brown sugar
* 2 eggs
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3/4 cup chocolate chips
* 1/4 cup shredded coconut
* Feel free to add: chopped nuts
* Preheat the oven the 350 degrees
* In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, sifted flour, yeast, flax seed, baking powder, soda, and salt.
* In the bowl of your electric mixer, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy approx 1 minute. Add in the sugar and brown sugar and beat on medium to high speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl if needed. Add in the eggs beating until combined, about 1-2 minutes. Add in the vanilla extract and beat until combined again. Gradually add in the dry ingredients, beating on low speed until just combined and mixed. Do not over mix!
* Fold in the chocolate chips (and coconut/nuts if desired) with a spatula until they are evenly dispersed remembering not to over-mix the dough.
* Scoop the dough into 2-inch spoonfuls and place on a baking sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the bottoms are golden.